photo kime5_zps3df5231d.png  photo kime6_zpsa90859c6.png  photo kime7_zps9d2ef86d.png  photo kime9_zpsb23b4278.png

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Cherish Friends - Texture Pressing Technique


Joyful greetings, friends! I pray that all is going well with you...

Guess what? I made a card! I don't think I've created any cards in months and months...or at least it feels that way. It was wonderful to be back in the studio this week creating a simple card. My inspiration? A technique, highlighted by my friend Dina Kowal, on Splitcoaststampers. Splitcoast! Goodness, it's been even longer since I was posting on Splitcoast...maybe three or four years! No guarantees on whether or not I'll be back on SCS on a regular basis, but it's fun to participate with a challenge and share a card. (You can view my card gallery here).

Last week's technique was called Texture Pressing. You can read the tutorial here. The reason this technique caught my eye? It's one that Wendy Vecchi has taught for years! It's a perfect technique to use with her Embossing Paste. This is a super easy technique, but I grabbed a few photos to share of my progress.
There are a lot of pastes on the market now, but Wendy's remains my favorite. I use it almost every time I create. It's lightweight, fully flexible when dry (it won't crack or chip!), provides amazing height and texture vs. some other pastes that dry rather flat unless you use a lot of paste, and takes color from any medium - paint, re-inkers, ink pads, you name it - perfectly!

To start my project I spread some embossing paste on a piece of scrap cardstock. To create the texture, simple press a stamp into the wet paste. I used a variety of designs in my paste...just for fun. Set the paste covered paper aside to dry completely.

Here you can see the image that I pressed into my paste...this great net image from an older Wendy Vecchi stamp set, Art Gone Postal. (All product links at the end of my post)

Once my paste was dry I simply colored the paste with a few Distress Inks. I used Shaded Lilac on the middle and Seedless Preserves on the edges. The very dark areas are ones that don't have any paste...it's just cardstock. I love the color difference and the way the darker ink gets picked up on the paper. I also gently went over the entire piece with Gathered Twigs.
Here are the three main elements of my card; the texture pressed piece of cardstock, a flower from the Wildflower Art set, and a die cut circle, which has also had a bit of Gathered Twigs added to the edges. (The flower was colored with Faber Castell Big Brush Markers and a water brush).
To finish my card, I added a piece of silver painted cardstock behind the textured piece, added faux stitching, a stamp from the Just Sew Artsy Wendy Vecchi set, to a few places on my card, and added the sentiment, which was taken from a Tim Holtz Chit Chat sticker book. And there you have a quick and easy card that utilizes a quick and easy technique!

Why don't you give texture pressing a try? I'd love for you to share a project with me! Just leave me a comment with a link back to your blog and I'll stop by for a visit!

Happy crafting!

Supplies:


No comments: